PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vaping inflight!
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2015, 07:25
tiffy68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vaping inflight!

Earlier this year I was on a budget airline (not low cost!) with my head in my IPad when I suddenly noticed a cloud of vapour emanating from the passenger seated next to me. When he realised I was looking he quickly waved his hands to dissipate the cloud and turned to speak with his female companion. Knowing he had just retaken his seat from a visit to the rear toilet, could we assume he had been vamping in the WC?
Shortly after this incident his female companion excused herself and used the aft toilets and I took this opportunity to speak with the cabin staff in the aft galley area. I was advised that passengers are permitted to bring e cigarettes on board but not to use them! HOW DO YOU POLICE THAT?
I have since written to the admin authority and the airline, who took an age to respond and when they did it was very much "what is all the fuss about" sort of response.
My question to the professionals on this site is 'How do you control vaping on board an aircraft when clearly the smoke sensors in the toilets do not register the output from an e cigarette?'
I can confirm the 'No smoking' signs were illuminated for the duration of the flight but clearly that does not mean anything to users of e cigarettes!
Are e cigarettes a health risk, I personally am not happy to be around a user, whether it is indoors or outside and I am very upset when a passenger in the next seat decides to do it!!
Any thoughts on this subject?