PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fatal Accident Inquiries and Inquest
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2015, 20:06
baffman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DV, thank you. The "lone campaigner" is to be congratulated, as it is clear that the issue of FAIs into the deaths of service personnel in Scotland had not been considered by Lord Cullen's inquiry, and would not have been addressed at all in the new legislation but for the campaigner's intervention.

I regret not picking this up myself during the consultation period, as I might have been able to assist in a small way, although the "campaigner" has clearly managed pretty well on his own! Certainly, no-one had raised it with any organisation I am connected with.

The Scottish Minister's letter of 4 June 2015 appears to concede that, as a result of the campaigner's representations, explicit provision will be included in the law for discretionary FAIs into the deaths of service personnel in Scotland.

The Minister also wrote that:
The latest position is that the Scottish Government is seeking the view of the Ministry of Defence on having mandatory FAIs into service employment deaths in Scotland. I will update the Committee on the response from the UK Government, when a response is received.
DV are you in a position to say how that is going?