PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Home > U.S. Cathay Pacific Airliner Makes Emergency Landing in Aleutians
Old 30th Jul 2015, 19:30
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Runway looks like it's 150' wide with 25' displayed shoulders on either side. Total of 200'.
Thanks for pointing this out but can you legally taxi on those runway shoulders?

The PASY Jepp 11-1 page dated 5 JUL 13 just says the width is 150 feet. I've never heard of being able to use the shoulders to make a turn. Is this buried in the NOTAMS or DOD pubs somewhere perhaps? The 'shoulders' have the diagonal yellow hashes that tell me not to taxi there.

But, I can absolutely see what you are saying, the pavement looks exactly the same in the hashed area so maybe buried somewhere in my company issued tablet is a note saying it is OK.

The crazy part is hey, you're in the middle of nowhere, who cares, use the extra width to turn more safely on the wet runway. But, sure as anything, some fed's daughter is in the back recording video of the turn on her iPhone and will upload it to Facebook (and PPRuNe ) when she gets back.

It does look like you could swing out over taxiway A (using 'judgmental oversteering' of course ) to turn around for a departure on runway 28.