PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 Beta missing on flight from Nunavut to Greenland
Old 30th Jul 2015, 17:00
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can only echo most of the throughts here.

I talked to one global ops ferry company owner in NW US and he said the smallest aircraft he'd agree to ferry (I mean, his pilots for the company), is Caravan or similar, at least single turbine and capabilities/space for long range tanks. He said he 'lost too many' pilots flying piston twins etc.

Yes, some people have crossed over OK, the Super Cub that towed me up in glider behind in the North of Emerald Isle, the C150 and guy flying via Azores to South/Southern Africa, this Kompress guy going to KOSH.

Meanwhile (so to speak) you have plenty people not making the crossing for simple mechanical reasons, changes wx conditions etc.

I just read on another thread here that Ross, 30k hr pilot had fatal crash somewhere in WA, doing the trip from just outside Brisbane QLD. Would have probably met him while in Brisvegas if visiting Caboolture.
Cicare or Kompress, similar experimentals with connected history/development.

A year or two ago, two experienced heli pilots (or at least one of them) had fatal with blade of tail rotor flying off on Safari in Czech Republic. Sadly, big smoking hole. Guess if it were some greater MR inertia heli and there was enough time to react, at least try an auto before it all folds up.

I've seen the R44 the two Scandinavians (helistars.no) at KHIO back in 2008 before the flew it across to Norway. Still bloody small a/c, but flown two up, so much better regarding CRM, fatigue management, planning.

People who want to fly such aircraft over these areas really ought to read handful of tragic accident reports and somehow get a reality check. Silly idea, innit?

The only fight there would have been with THREE bears and one chap within their reach, would have been which bear keeps which leg or arm.