PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB report on Southwest 737 at LGA
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2015, 06:27
deefer dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you JammedStab, and misd-agin!

This was simply a botched landing after a mishandled take over by the Captain who had been PM.

The traces posted by misd-agin clearly show that nothing untoward happened even remotely after the (albeit late) flap 40 selection, and that things only started to get out of shape at 100 feet. Also the glide slope trace, although not perfect, looked acceptable to me and pretty well matched the varying headwind component until 100 feet PA. Prior to the 100 ft point I would not have considered any deviations worthy of comment.

I defy anyone to identify the cause of this incident as being due to the late flap selection, or even the Captain's use of the phrase "I got it" instead of "I have control." Personally I think it is ridiculous to suggest that either of these were contributory factors.

If the real cause of an accident cannot be determined by the investigators they are doing us all a great dis-service by citing breaches of SOPS that bear no resemblance to the event, and took place at a time that did not even relate to the lead up to event. As for "I got it" versus "I have control," it only serves to highlight the fact that these investigators were struggling to find a cause.