PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 Beta missing on flight from Nunavut to Greenland
Old 29th Jul 2015, 23:50
newfieboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R22 Beta missing on flight from Nunavut to Greenland

stringfellow
Pioneer ? Have you ever flown in this part of the world, operationally day in day out? I have a few thou hours up there. There is no pioneering spirit ignoring the WX, flight planning and proper survival gear. Also a good weather briefing via Arctic Radio in North Bay. Wonder if he even flight planned with them considering its in the Adiz. Only an ignorant fool would cross that water in street clothes in non VFR conditions.You dismiss/ignore the weather at your peril. I can assure you it can change in minutes. This time of year the fog is a major player along with poor sea ice and hungry bears. I note from your profile that you are a PPL from the Lake District so maybe you don't quite understand the dangers operating up in the Arctic. Back to my armchair quarterbacking!!

Crab
Agree, unbelievable re the survival story. Two Inuit I worked with up on Baffin last year were attack in the night by a Polar Bear while seal hunting on the ice. The only way they survived was by shooting it, after it had done some serious damage to both. Screaming and shouting might work for Black Bear but 3xPolar Bear and one guy on an ice flow.....easy pray!!