PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meaningless management drivel
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2015, 22:36
air pig

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Interesting debate;

HR, are usually a waste of space and tell them they are jumped up personnel officers and they would want to spit there dummies, usually that most of them have just had removed. Never learn or implement their own companies rules so when it comes to disciplinaries loose to the union rep. Never worked on the shop floor.

Accountants, know the cost of everything and value of nothing which includes the value that experienced staff bring. Think it's a good move to try to get rid of older staff. They know not the old 8 Squadron adage 'old age and treachery will always triumph over youth and skill'

Management consultants, employed by those who can't or will not manage but who can't manage themselves. Cost a lot of money, you can get the same results by talking to the staff who could tell you what is wrong and how to do it better.

Lastly managers, Those that can do the job that you ask your people to do is far more respected than those who say 'I'm telling you to get it done. Best managers stick up for their people even when it goes wrong. As I said to a former incompetent boss when I was an ICU shift boss, 'when it goes right they (team) get the praise, when it goes wrong the blame stops with me'. She really did not understand and looked at me blankly. Managers who come out with I have a brilliant idea and when told by the staff 'tried that 10 years ago didn't work then why will it work now'. Reminds me of Baldrick from Blackadder.

The NHS is a wonderful system but full of incompetent managers medical and non-medical unfortunately, usually because they will not make a decision but would rather for a committee, this merely devolves blame when it goes wrong.

Is the Armed forces any better, I suspect not these days.