PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - process taking all my cpu
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2015, 21:21
rans6andrew

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
my Win7 starter netbook has ground to a virtual halt. The task manager shows 100% cpu usage at the bottom of it's window but it doesn't show any processes using significant cpu. The machine is slow booting up and the cpu ramps up after a few seconds with no applications running. If I run up Procexp it shows an svchost taking 50, 60 or even 70% CPU duty but won't let me kill the process. It seems to swallow up the difference between the few % used the task manager and 100%. Firefox grabs a few % if I launch it but is really struggling to do anything.

I have run Malwarebyte antimalware and spybot on C: drive, neither flagged up anything to worry about. I have defragged the disc and tried to complete all of the OS upgrades but get confusing reports. One moment it tells me 130 windoze files are to be upgraded but it fails to do the download and install. Then it reports system up to date but that the 130 important security files failed.

It has been like this for about 10 days, I don't think I changed anything to trigger the slow down.

Any ideas?

Rans6...........

ps: the memory usage is running at a fairly constant 77% of the 2GB installed.