PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 500 and 1000 foot rule
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2015, 10:33
N-Jacko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good point, there aren't many. Megève perhaps (but that's a licensed altiport). Valloire Bonnenuit is the only altisurface I can think of which has a town/settlement less than 1,000 ft below the final turn. Even there, one can try to avoid overflying the most congested part if the wind is right.

I was thinking more of the 500 ft rule. SOP for most altisurfaces (where hikers/bystanders are not unusual) is an outbound low pass at 200-300 ft but one is generally not committed to land until interception of the glide path on final.

The same may apply to any unmanned airfield. The airfield owner may give permission to land, but the PIC will determine whether and how to do so.

To give another example of "necessary for landing", clearing sheep off my main runway requires one or more low passes within 500 ft of a building. But if a mountain maggot refuses to budge, I may not land there.

As you point out, it is unlikely that even the UK CAA would be daft enough to pick this particular nit, constrained as it is by the Codes for Crown Prosecutors.