PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320/21 NEO Avionics Enhancements?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2015, 08:24
FlyingStone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even the current NG cockpit avionics are more up to date than the A320 ones. That said, both do their job and one learns to live with miniscule screens, only one layer of information at a time, no vertical situation display and no navigation performance scales to name just a few things.
Auto-tune for ILS, manually tuning VOR/ADF by only typing navaid identifier, secondary flightplan (leaving aside U11). Add to that fully managed approach (IAN), SPD INTV, Cat IIIb, etc. - all of which are expensive customer options with Boeing.

And of course, engine failure, AP in at 100ft and Cat IIIa autoland with flaps full without any customer options.

That being said, I do miss the banana and ability to see temporary flightplan (e.g. before executing direct to) on both NDs though.

Of course, the overhead panel is archaic and the lack of an EICAS is really weird, but apparently we have to thank boeings biggest 737 customer for that.
This article was a total surprise to me. I couldn't believe this could be true, especially with everybody boasting at USA's practical approach to aviation.

Good think they are proud and innovative by enabling something that was standard on 737 since beginning of 80's.