PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transavia (HV5068/TRA3K) emergency landing
Old 28th Jul 2015, 14:11
Global_Global

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never had a **** day in the office?
My point exactly...

When I was instructing I have seen too many great crew totally **** up in the sim on the windshear exercise and have since a more humble approach to what you should have done.... With windshear you will f@ck up some day, I will f@ck up some day and let's make sure that we both appreciate that and do our best to avoid it. This flight had all the swiss cheese issues written all over it: confused diversion, low fuel, shaken about for a while in ****ty weather...how sharp would you be? Not how sharp should you have been.... So I am with the crew on this one. Could they have done better? absolutely. Can I understand that they did what they did: yep, absolutely!

there were dozens of other aircraft at the same time and same conditions and they all landed safely despite windshear and the occasional go around....
The one time I encountered SEVERE windshear was the scariest moment in my life and I was throwing every little bit of power at the aircraft and still going down at amazing rates per minute. Guess what: the aircraft before and one 5 minutes after us had zero issues! So pointless to compare it with other aircraft If you want something to compare: this was the heaviest summer storm in the Netherlands since 1901....

As for the PTT buttons, I think it's beyond incredible, that Boeing still has these silly rocker switches on the yoke!
Now that is something we do agree on But let's face it Boeing got scr3w3d over by South West when they designing the NG and created the most outdated cockpit with the most outdated features to allow SW a common type rating. Even the 757 is more advanced imho...