PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Airlines
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2003, 14:29
missleadfoot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kaka 1973,

This question has been thrown around so much since AO began operations and there is still no word on where or if a second base will be created. It would have to be worth while for them to create a new base and even though they are starting flights ex Sydney I think you will see there are only about 3 per week (2xDPS + 1xBKI), plus the 6 weekly shuttles between CNS-SYD. It may be a good start but I am sure there will have to be much more capacity out of SYD to justify a base there. Currently the Cairns base operates 34 flights per week on normal schedule. If they can continue with their plan, which is to focus a bit more on outbound tourism who knows, but at this stage there has hardly been word said at all of a second base, just speculation. Who knows, this industry is so unpredictable at the moment. My money however is on SYD, followed by MEL, DRW, PER. We shall see but I wouldn't expect anything in the short term. I would say another 18-24 months before there is a 2nd base, and I am trying to be realistic here.