PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transavia (HV5068/TRA3K) emergency landing
Old 28th Jul 2015, 11:11
LLuCCiFeR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...and ATC giving you go around instructions that are different than briefed Luciffer???
Global Global, I think it's obvious who is the desk pilot here.

ATC did NOT give them different go around instructions, but only gave them a heading after they requested to vectored around weather. Sorry, but that seems a bit strange to me, as normally you have a quick look on the WX radar once established on the approach, to see if the go around path is also clear of weather, and if not, tell (not ask!) ATC what you need in case of a go around. If you'd bothered to listen to the whole thing, then you can hear the KLM 958 doing exactly that: "in case of go around, we would like an early right turn." That's the only correct way to do it in my opinion, YOU tell ATC what you need because you have a WR radar. After all, AMS is not located in China, and Dutch ATC is usually excellent in providing any heading or any diversion around weather that you need!

As for the PTT buttons, I think it's beyond incredible, that Boeing still has these silly rocker switches on the yoke! They are a recipe for totally unnecessary additional workload (as you unfortunately see in this case), additional confusion and a loss of situational awareness between pilots and ATC. No, I'm definitely NOT blaming the crew, but add weather, low fuel and wind shear to that, and the recipe for disaster is complete! Completely insane that aircraft can be certified like that, only to save $10 on some wires and a decent switch! The Airbus system (a toggle switch that can be firmly locked in intercom position) located on the central pedestal on the radio panel, whilst still having a PTT switch on the Side Stick, is a much better thought-out solution IMO.