PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dogs as freight
Thread: Dogs as freight
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2015, 10:36
Cuban Eight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading CASA's advisory circular 91-045(0), it looks like a domestic pet can be carried in the passenger cabin as long as it's restrained or contained (so not to endanger people or disturb W+B), it doesn't impede emergency exit and it's number 1s and 2s are contained.

The circular quotes CASR 91.045 as the relevant regulation. I can't find 91.045 in the new CASR on the comlaw site. Could anyone direct me to it?

From how I read it, the 1988 CAR 256A states that an animal can't be in a passenger cabin unless it is an assistance animal for an impaired person. The 2001 advisory circular broadens the instances in which an animal can be in a passenger cabin to pretty much whenever there's no cargo compartment or it's not possible to put the animal in an available cargo compartment or "where the operator considers it appropriate".

I'm happy to take my mate's dog in a container in the back of a C200 series if I can see the CASR 91.045 in writing first (so I know that it exists!) because I'd really prefer not to be pulled up for a ramp check only to be quoted CAR 256A which doesn't seem to allow it.

In my naive PPL eyes, I see no operational or safety issue in having an animal suitably contained (so not to disturb W+B or people) in the back of a C200 series. However, I worry that the interpretation of "passenger compartment" could be bent by someone wanting to enforce CAR 256A if the situation is in a single compartment Cessna. So, is CAR 256A superseded by CASR 91.045 that this advisory is referencing? I'm sure it is... I just can't find damn CASR 91.045!!