PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Restricted takeoffs, VRS, and ground effect
Old 28th Jul 2015, 09:41
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fly two different types of twin, both with PC1 performance, and very different profiles, two areas I regularly see ignored are the max ROC on the vertical section of the take-off and also the torque limits. Both are designed to contain the Nr in the event of an engine failure.

The simulator provides fascinating lessons in this regard, when the book says "apply 10% torque above hover requirement" a lot of pilots just give it the full beans. When an engine stops the full beans guys find themselves with a sudden (and often catastrophic Nr droop) while the guys who fly the accurate proflie find the NR drooping to exactly the right spot for either a reject or fly away.

People with very clever science/maths qualifications who have graduated from complex test pilot courses work this stuff out, I wonder why when they've gone to all that trouble an average line driver ignores their work and puts themselves in a very difficult place to explain away if they have a problem.

In the last 28 years I have only once rejected for real off a PC1 take-off and that was actually when a front seat passenger dropped something in attempting to catch it turned off the hydraulics, so it isn't always an engine failure you're waiting for.

SND