PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Patent for new Y seat
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2015, 06:29
Dont Hang Up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'Enjoy high density seating in a business class width' - with an inability to snooze due to the layout (no arm rests or headrests) I don't think I'd be enjoying it.

With the plastic flip seats they just need to add floor drains to complete the 'easy to hose down' look
I suspect what is being patented is the geometric layout. This allows the widest parts of your body (shoulders and hips) to be be adjacent to the narrowest part (the knees) of your neighbour. The 'hard plastic look' seems like a simplistic computer generated model and in reality the seats themselves could be open to a significant degree of comfort enhancement, only with the proviso that the seat must fold.

It is the claustrophobic, nose to tail (or knee to thigh) sardine-tin packing that I would find intolerable. And as I mentioned previously, increasing the number of seats on an aircraft while removing the possibility of under-seat storage seems highly unrealistic - unless someone comes up with a similarly novel space-creating idea for the overhead bins.