PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Agusta AW139
Thread: Agusta AW139
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2003, 12:48
Cyclic Hotline

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Lu,

You are correct that the CH-37 had tail rotor dampers, but I believe it was the only Sikorsky model that made it to production with them installed. The entire tail rotor assembly looked like a goat-rope (but then my friends who worked on the CH-37 said the whole machine was that way)!

I have a photograph on my wall of the prototype CH-54A in an incomplete state (mock-up), with the CH-37 tail rotor installed. As far as I am aware, all production CH-53 and CH-54 had a rigid tail rotor installed. They certainly do in their current state, and share common components.

As far as the AB-139, they certainly got the baggage compartments right. They are huge and exactly what is required. The S-76 and Bell 212/412 have pitiful space available - totally inadequate for the mission.

I didn't realise that the EH-101 had tail rotor dampers, but then again it has been a while since I had the opportunity to see one up close. Anyone have any pictures?

These are interesting times, as an entire generation of new helicopters hit the marketplace, AB-139, EH-101, S92 and Super Puma Mk 2.

Hopefully the marketplace will be able to realise the potential of these aircraft and undergo a renaissance.