PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2015, 22:36
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You say negativity, I say realism
But your interpretation of 'realism' sounds more like 'defeatism'. I doubt that any reasonable contributor here would deny that London has a world-class offering for the tourist. But that does not mean that the regions should throw in the towel on the misapprehension that they have nothing to offer in their own right.

I don't want to get into a long list of tourist attractions, so I will just cite a couple of examples to illustrate the point. Durham Cathedral is one of the finest cathedrals in Europe. However, you might be forgiven for failing to realise that because low-key promotion overseas has resulted in far lower recognition than its underlying status deserves. Similarly, the Settle to Carlisle railway line: a magnificent example of rail engineering at its most challenging, and a scenic route arguably in the world's top 10. But recognition of its tourism potential arguably extends little beyond neighbouring counties and knowledgeable rail enthusiasts. This region also offers the world's first passenger railway and the cradle of the Industrial Revolution, as catalogued by Marx and Engels.

The North is not deficient of worthy tourist sites. But it is lacking international recognition of these. There are many more examples which I have not mentioned. So, whilst acknowledging that the SE has an outstanding offering for the overseas tourist, it is unwise to suggest that attractions elsewhere in the UK are consequently undeserving of committed promotion. It is not London or the rest; it can and should be both.

Ranting on about perceived or real iniquities on a plane spotter forum won't change anything though.
PPRuNe just a plane spotter forum? You would be amazed by who frequents this particular website. It reaches the very top of this industry, plus influential journalists, analysts [eh, Skip?!!!] and decision makers.

not really the kind of thing you'd fly half way round the world to see
The Peak District may lack international recognition as you say. But Beatrix Potter's Lake District is beloved by the Asian Market. As are traditional castles such as those located along the North Wales Coast, and the stately homes which have featured in costume dramas sold to countries worldwide. And we mustn't overlook Alnwick Castle, recognised as "Hogwarts" by millions of kids around the world.

There is a market for this product. Promotion of these attractions is worthwhile - alongside London, not instead of it.

'London is fantastic for the tourist, so to Hell with the rest' is really not the attitude to which we should be aspiring!

Last edited by Shed-on-a-Pole; 28th Jul 2015 at 10:41.