PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about MCC - JOC. Please give some advise
Old 27th Jul 2015, 19:58
pancho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To operate a multi crew airliner it is mandatory to have completed an approved MCC course. For the Integrated ATPL student this element of training will be incorporated in the course and is generally of a high standard. For the Modular student he/she will have to source a suitable ATO providing MCC courses. The problem is that the quality delivered by some Modular providers can be at the minimum level, i.e. attendance alone will guarantee the award of a certificate.

As Alex says the airlines have witnessed this varying standard and now frequently insist on what has become known as the JOC, Jet Orientation Course. This is not mandatory and is not an approved course. JOC is open to varying standards, therefore most airlines will only accept JOC training from certain providers that have established a quality reputation.

Cheapest is not the best. A stand alone JOC of 4 hours is not a JOC, this is a waste of money. The minimum JOC should be combined with the MCC by adding suitable additional training beyond the bare minimum. If you already have an MCC certificate and want do add a JOC the minimum should be in the order of 20 hours with suitable theoretical knowledge training as well.

Full flight simulators add to the experience but this should not be main reason for deciding on a particular course. My advice for all students facing the MCC/JOC dilemma is to do your homework, ask the ATO what their MCC syllabus covers, is their JOC an add on, how many hours, are all exercise briefed and debriefed, are the exercises graded, can you fail the course. Ask them have their graduates been employed by airlines, what experience do their MCC instructors have, do they follow tailored SOP. Ask other graduates what they thought of the quality of training.

I delivered MCC/JOC courses for many years and the overwhelming demand from all my students and customer airlines was, and is, quality training, not price. My point of view when creating and delivering MCC and JOC was always to consider the ultimate objective, safety through professional operation. That's the end game, anything less is unacceptable.

Allan Dunne. Former HT Cardiff Aviation Training