PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RPM/Power Settings
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2015, 19:35
Heliplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RPM/Power Settings

I would like to work out the power settings for my engine/propeller combination and wondered if anyone had any thoughts or insights as to how this might be done.

The aircraft is an American General AG5B Tiger and, as AG pilots will be aware (and I believe Grumman pilots too), the performance data in the POH is based on percentage power settings. Unlike, for example, the Cessna POHs, the AG5B POH does not show what RPM will result in the relevant percentage power under specified conditions (altitude, temperature, etc). As such, the cruise performance data in the POH is pretty useless.

The engine is a Lycoming 0-360-A4K and, to slightly complicate matters, the aircraft has a (fixed pitch) cruise prop (a Sensenich 76EM8S10-0-65). AG5B props can be pitched for climb (-61), cruise (-65) or in the middle (-63).

The Lycoming engine manual requires manifold pressure data and, with the plane having a fixed pitch prop, we don't have a manifold pressure gauge.

Does anyone have any insights as to how a power setting grid might be worked out? Ideally I'd be able to input data such as RPM, altitude and temperature in order to obtain percentage power and fuel flow information.

Thanks in advance.