PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are the missed approach procedures while on a visual approach following vectors
Old 27th Jul 2015, 18:40
Son of a Beech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the missed approach procedures while on a visual approach following vectors

A couple of weeks ago AIN publisched their weekly safety question:

What are the missed approach procedures while on a visual approach following vectors to the ILS?

You are being vectored for an ILS approach when ATC asks if you have the airport in sight. After confirming the field is in sight, ATC clears you for a visual approach to the same runway. The approach later becomes unstable and you initiate a go-around. Which of the following is correct?

Your vote was recorded.
CHOICES
Answer B is correct.

There are no missed approach instructions for a visual approach unless a published visual approach procedure exists for the particular runway. If you are cleared for a visual approach, it does not mean that you are cleared to fly the missed approach procedure associated with that runway’s ILS approach. The correct course of action is to advise ATC of your go-around, then fly the missed approach instructions per ATC.

Here's how others answered:

A. Fly the published missed approach for the ILS approach for which you were vectored.
55% (1302 votes)
B. Ask ATC for missed approach instructions.
24% (560 votes)
C. Fly the lateral path only as published for the ILS procedure, but maintain pattern altitude and remain clear of clouds.
9% (221 votes)
D. None of the above is correct.
12% (291 votes)
TOTAL VOTES: 2374

I always learned that you are suppose to follow the ILS missed approach but can't find any reference for this. If I look at the fact that 55% of the pilots had this answer wrong I can only assume that some others learned it my way as well.

The weekly question is supplied by Flightsafety international so I guess it's correct but can anybody give me any reference.

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-ne...ng-vectors-ils