PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Restricted takeoffs, VRS, and ground effect
Old 27th Jul 2015, 15:44
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crab et al

PC1 is an 'operating standard' and only relevant if your jurisdiction mandates it - most don't, EASA being the exception of course. You won't therefore find PC1 data in the RFM as that is produced to comply with 'certification standards'. Note that PC1 applies to EASA CAT (Commercial Air Transport) flights and not just 'fare-paying' passenger flights. You won't find any of the offshore workers putting their hands in their pockets for their tickets - not just yet anyway. Of course the US and other jurisdictions are a different story.

PC1 uses Cat A data and you will probably find the data for Cat A approved take off and landing profiles in the RFM along with the WAT chart as PC Plod explained.

Mass management is the key to safe operation as everything in our world gets more difficult at max AUW and for those souls that ignore the max-AUW limits it gets even trickier. I wish I had a fiver for every student I met doing 139 TR's that had no idea that mass was even important. After all surely no one would build a helicopter without giving it the capability of carrying full fuel with all seats occupied.

If you wonder why the 139 is such a popular machine then the fact that it can cope with everything full means that those that don't do any pre-flight mass calculations are no longer putting their lives on the line to the same extent.

G.

Last edited by Geoffersincornwall; 27th Jul 2015 at 15:49. Reason: more info