PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - University course choice?!?!
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2015, 06:50
blue_ashy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking from life experience, I would ditch university and get a job and start earning.

The graduate jobs market right now in the UK is the most competitive in Europe and therefore by no means is a job after university a guarantee. I've seen so many students take the poor advice to do a university degree under the presumption that getting a job is a formality afterwards. For me I graduated from a Russell university with a first and an MSc in Engineering only to start a job 3 months later on £18,000 a year which really isn't far off what I could of started on after leaving college.

On the minimum wage you could earn £60,000 over 5 years and with promotions/pay rises it would probably be even more. That is more than enough for a modular course with a MCC/JOC thrown in. Obviously you won't save every single penny but starting to earn now and early will get you to the dream far quicker than you might think.

Sorry if this doesn't really help but aside from that I would select the option with the best job prospects rather than merely the money because despite what our government says, the true outlook of the jobs market for those just starting their careers is rather grim.