PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB report on Southwest 737 at LGA
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2015, 00:14
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not the finest day for the co-pilot for sure, but it's also hard to defend / excuse the Captain's actions. Unfortunately for her this was a career-ending accident.
Feel bad for her but glad she's not flying for SWA anymore. Do we know if she got another job in aviation?
From an earlier thread here about the SWA LGA mishap:

Quick question to the pilots on here. Do you think the lady involved will ever get a job as a pilot again ?
I offered this view and cited a few previous examples:

In cases I've seen of pilots fired after an airline accident I would say quite possibly.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, at least one of the pilots in the Y2K Southwest BUR crash subsequently got his job back. Years ago a pilot who was fired by Eastern after a fatal crash later became chief pilot of a cargo non-sked out of MIA.

When diversity is considered, a checkered employment history has not prevented some folks from finding a job in night freight. Wouldbe FDX 705 hijacker Auburn Calloway was hired by FedEx after being terminated at several other employers including famously, Flying Tigers. RS (RIP) had a history of checkride failures and 609 rides at a previous employer before she was hired by FedEx. Her poor performance continued, culminating in her role as flying pilot in one of the other FedEx MEM Mad Dog mishaps.

I'm told one of the pilots in the recent BHM A300 crash was fired at a major pax carrier before coming to work at UPS.

Another pilot fired, uh, I mean allowed to retire, at this pax carrier now successfully sells interview preps and airline consulting services to prepare for 'the coming pilot shortage'.

In years past I've run into pilots who left the U.S. airlines for cause (or 'unfortunate' dates of hire) in that that infamous last refuge of scoundrels, expat flying.
http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5...ml#post8084023

Not sure if it is significant for CRM but both pilots involved in the accident had mostly single pilot flight time mixed with some instructor time prior to joining Southwest.

The captain flew night freight for Ameriflight and the first officer was a Zoomie with a Bandit number (an Air Force Academy graduate with F-117 time) and flew several fighter tours.