PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 26th Jul 2015, 19:09
ExAscoteer

Location: Sneaking up on the Runway and leaping out to grab it unawares
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ancientaviator62
smudge,
I think the tale of the iced up radome 'K' is in a previous post. Captain I think was Ray E. of 30.
The Captain was, indeed, Uncle Fester.

My 'Iced up Albert' tale derives from Minsk in Belarus - specifically Minsk 2.

Albert had picked up the Conventional Forces Europe / Open Skies Treaty flights from the Andover force after the latter had had some sort of 'diplomatic incident'.

Cue us arriving at Albert the morning after the night before to find the airframe completely iced up. The OAT was well below zero although I think the rather large quantities of Столи́чная (Stolichnaya) that we'd consumed courtesy of our Hosts went a long way to keeping us ice free!

The Eng requested a de-ice and (I am quite sure) expected a liquid spray as found in other cold parts of the world, but no....

Along comes an old Ural truck with an extending gantry on the load bed. At the end of the gantry is a wild eyed Belorussian looking like something out of 'Mad Max' sitting next to a jet engine that rather looked like it was one of Frank Whittle's originals. He then used said jet engine exhaust to de-ice albert.

It didn't half shake the aircraft!