PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Requirements For Private Strip
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2015, 18:14
The Flying Pram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, before you look to establish your own strip, have you made enquiries to see if there's already one nearby? There are a couple of links in this thread: http://www.pprune.org/private-flying...-database.html But note this: http://www.pprune.org/private-flying...rnoon-but.html which has some cautionary tales regarding the less considerate using private property. You could also spend some time studying the area with Google Earth.

Secondly, you haven't said what sort of Piper is going to be based there? A Cub derivative will be happy on grass, but PA28's etc will need more careful planning, particularly in hot weather or when it's been raining heavily! If the former, you are going to need (or build) a hangar to keep it in. Don't be tempted to share with any agricultural building containing chemicals, or being used as a grain store - you'd be amazed how much black diesel soot and dust will fall when large diggers are moving hundreds of tons of grain in & out...

Thirdly, whilst the idea of "your own" place sounds wonderful, you also have to allow for the time spent maintaining it. Grass can grow very quickly in good weather, and become unusable when wet, particularly if the underlying soil is clay. You have also the risk of moles playing havoc with your nice smooth grass - as I found out the hard way.

I was fortunate to be pointed towards a farmer with his own well established strip when I got my microlight PPL back in the 90's. With the right approach I was able to base my machine there, and after a while build my own hangar. Initially he looked after the grass, but I gradually took that over, and other general tidying of the hedges, etc.

I always made a point of stopping to speak to people (a footpath ran past the threshold). This is good PR, and may help to avoid complaints, particularly if you offer them a flight! However DON'T do this until you are sure of your own & the plane's capabilities, and have some experience. Over 20 odd years, I took a number of people up who had never flown in anything before - I hope (and believe) they went away with a better understanding of what flying is about.

TFP