PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB report on Southwest 737 at LGA
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2015, 19:50
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've flown for airlines with a zero tolerance for continuing past 500' unstabilised. Fine. In the TQ, because it is mandatory exercise, there is a low level - 50'agl - waveoff/ Go round. In 10 years of recurrency training we were subjected to a 'windshear on approach' manoeuvre tick in the box. NEVER did we experienced a sudden shift in wind to a tail wind at 200' to cause a sudden destabilisation and a PILOT called G/A at low level. We were told that we should not be afraid of going round if ever there is a problem, BUT it was never given to us to experience. I've been there done that in real life; no fears or worries, but today there are modern captains with just >3000hrs and little experience of weather, plus these new cadet apprentice F/O's; they need all the confidence building they can get and as much exposure to fear quenching exercises as possible. Low level windshear exposure, before the bells & whistles have chance to tell you, is of more recurrency value than a 'source off' or a windshear occurrence at 800', or even an engine failure. It's only the latest a/c models that have this warning anyway. Experiences of real life scenarios that require a human decision and response are invaluable training moments.