PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 25th Jul 2015, 19:34
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AA62,

You are so right on that sir, I always wondered at the fool who decided on an 0500L departure from LYN. Especially when I had only arrived back from Gander at 2200L the night before. I well remember joining the Loadie and Eng at a very early time in the oncoming day on bay 29, outbound to Belize via a N/S Gander. Both were full of beans and explained that they were looking forward to their first "states" trip for a couple of months. Once all was stowed, and awaiting the arrival of Cox and synchro pair, they asked me what I had been up to, well said I, I'm on my way back to Gander, which I left yesterday, and have already ordered my stretchy soup and triple chilli marguerite from Pizza delight. Imagine their surprise when Vera (remember her ?), said hello and asked if we had broken down as I wasn't in last night, was I fixing the aircraft ? On telling her I had been home, and come back, she asked "why bother ?".

I was led to believe that during my time as a GE there were 30 operating GEs on the section. Across the Squadrons there were supposedly 120 "constituted" crews. That gave us a ratio of 4:1 on route flying, in some respect due to the fact that we only usually got involved in Routes, or detachments. Sadly, I only managed 6 years before "injuries" forced me to return to "normal" duties. I did clock over 5000 flying hours in that time. mostly by Albert supported hammock, but some indication of my travels. I'm still concerned that loadmasters were so badly treated on cold mornings, but Loadies were definitely my best mates on any trip I understand that subsequent to my departure in 1997, AGEs were awarded Flying Pay, no less, now that would have made me a very wealthy chap. Any ex GEs know about that ? See you all soon, a few days away beckons.

Smudge