PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arline Employment Rumour
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2015, 06:57
skyship007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

That comment from Clamchowder is very interesting, because the flight schools in the US are very busy and are having a hard time finding good instructors. They are already starting cash to join and annual bonus schemes.
I was a instructor at OATS for 5 years and I remember the CFO suddenly increasing the pay by one third for all instructors after a few left to join Brittania airways. That meant we made as much as a BA co-pilot!
Oddly enough one significant sign of a pilot shortage is what the flight schools do both in instructor pay and expansion terms.

If I was a lot younger and sitting on a pile of cash big enough to pay for a CPL/IR course and the extra time building for the ATPL, I would apply to all the airlines with cadetship schemes, BUT refuse to sign a contract involving a serious training bond. The reason for that is there is a risk that the major airlines will change their minds about just recruiting rich kids who can afford to work for peanuts (After deductions). Refusing to sign contracts sends a definite signal to the bean counters!

It's one big mistake to pay for training with an impending shortage of qualified pilots, because it won't be long before some airlines give up charging for type ratings in particular. Obviously agreeing to a P2F rip off would be silly at present.

Last edited by skyship007; 26th Jul 2015 at 12:44.