PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK fighter numbers to reach all-time low with loss of Tornados and early Typhoons in
Old 24th Jul 2015, 23:03
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
It's a rare thing, but I find myself agreeing and disagreeing with both Hangarshuffle and pr00ne simultaneously.

To my mind, and from the meetingsI sit in on a daily basis and the work strands I deal with, it's very clear to me that this government views counter-terrorism rather than military ventures as the major issue. Consequently there has been a subtle shift from defence and security being different things - MOD and Spooks - to defence being a component part of the broader security environment. That's why there is now less of a focus on exquisite technology and heavy metal and more on intelligence, communications and light, rapid reaction forces. That said, there is still the investment in said heavy metal etc, but it now really is only one part of a far greater consideration. That's why I think we are struggling so much these days; the political perception appears to be that the major threat, for now, isn't state on state (it isn't necessarily even Russia long term, I'd be looking at China and Iran for state on state issues), the government deems security and terrorism as the major threat and is investing heavily on countering it up stream through the work of the FCO and agencies like DFID and downstream through the work of the police and security services. And none of that sadly requires large numbers of fast jets (or tanks and destroyers for that matter).

As for London, I took my mum to the RAF. Club last weekend for afternoon tea. She loved the Club, hated London. Busy, crowded, unfriendly people barging around. For me, I love it and find the dynamism and international aspects fascinating. Wouldn't change a thing.

Last edited by Melchett01; 25th Jul 2015 at 13:02.