PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB report on Southwest 737 at LGA
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2015, 18:47
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As is the modern custom, nitpicking on callouts is part of the report. Instead of saying 'I have the aircraft' she says 'I got it'. Looks like the transfer of control was unambiguous if poorly timed.

In addition, the captain did not follow SOPs at several points during the flight. As PM, she should have made the standard callout per the Southwest FOM when the airplane was above glideslope, stating "glideslope" and adding a descriptive word or words to the callout (for example, "one dot high"). Rather than make this callout, however, the captain repeatedly said "get down" to the first officer before stating "I got it." The way she handled the transfer of airplane control was also contrary to the FOM, which indicates that the PM should say "I have the aircraft." The flight crew's performance was indicative of poor crew resource management.
The NTSB spells 'captain' with a small 'c' and these days I have to agree.

My guess is he was trying to figure out what had led the PIC to grab control. "What did I screw up?"
Anyway, he transferred control immediately and acknowledged 'Okay, you got it.'

In these times of shared blame and Kumbaya CRM I'm somewhat surprised that the FO didn't also get gigged in the probable cause for not executing a go-around when they realized that the aircraft was not properly configured at 1000 feet AGL.

The CVR is in the accident docket here:

Document 2 Materials Laboratory 15 - Factual Report 13-062 (with 6 embedded images) Filing Date August 27, 2013 5 page(s) of Image (PDF or TIFF) 0 Photos