PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No boarding call in the Qantas Club.
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2015, 15:44
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
I have said before that UK airports now like to use small flat panel monitors for flight details - rather than the large ones. These are cheap to buy and have standard interfaces. BUT you have to stand very close to them to read them.

The old 'flip-flap' boards had high letters and could be read from 20 or 30m but these small screens require you to get 1 or 2 m away. This produces the bunching.

The last time I went through MUC, they had sorted out the SMS of gate details but I would not trust any Brit airport to get this right. I am considering taking binoculars next time, so (if) I find one of the few chairs, I can read the board.

One of the reasons I use paid for lounges is that they generally have good display panels, although they don't announce either. They used to do this but I guess that irate pax missing a flight because a call was not made - would have put paid to that.

Unfortunately, UK train stations have also gone over to small display screens and I can only see money saving as the cause.