PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arline Employment Rumour
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2015, 06:46
skyship007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I've just returned from the US and the situation there as regards pilots jobs has started improving. Most of the airlines are recruiting, but the 2 big changes are that United and other big players have removed the requirement to hold a US passport. It's easy for them to get a work permit for a new pilot, but will cost an applicant about 9K usd in legal assistance and fees if they try it themselves.
Southwest airlines had a one third no show incident on a recent type rating course, which was caused mostly by some of the main biz jet operators either increasing pay or offering the applicants a command.

In UK terms because most commercial pilots work for BA, what they do is the big factor. I think that if the fuel price and the interest rates stay low the good times will return, as most HR departments will make every effort to prevent pilots leaving and that will involve more than just pay increases.

It's not difficult to get an FAA ATP as you don't need the 500hrs multi crew time, just the written exams (One week of online study should do the trick), CTP course of flight sim and groundschool which should be done before the writtens (Costs about 5K usd if you shop around) and the actual ATP flight test in a twin. You will need to get a letter of verification sent from the CAA to the FAA and an FAA medical (I did the initial FAA med in Stuttgart) and fingerprinting by the TSA etc.

I was based in the far East for 3 months once and I can assure you the pollution levels, illness rates and difficult driving conditions are no joke, but what the big Far and middle East airlines are doing is already having an effect.

The Germanwings investigation is also having an effect, partly because of increased medical failure rates, but also because there is a movement towards changing the current type rating training bonds legal basis to allow a pilot to resign without financial consequences (Tomatoe Andy was seriously in debt and could not afford to leave). Slavery is not good for your mental health!
Do not pay for a type ratings upfront or sign a bond, as it is now regarded as a sign of a serious mental health issue by many cheif pilots, the smaller US airlines will pay for the type rating and some are even paying for the CTP and ATP ratings.

Drifting off topic slightly, if you are suffering from too much stress and need some time off, just visit your local doctor and tell him you are feeling suicidal, it should get you a real good sick note. I did that once and it works real well, although the doc knew I was telling a porkie pie, as the real reason was the aircraft I was flying had a seriously defective engine (It kept overheating) that the ginger beers could not seem to fix. Luckily a US pilot bent it whilst I was off sick.

Yep the times they are a changin, as Bob Dylan once sang!

Last edited by skyship007; 24th Jul 2015 at 07:17.