PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A question about propeller torque during takeoffs
Old 23rd Jul 2015, 14:27
jcomm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just found this old thread, and couldn't resist bringing a question specially for those of you with experience in powerful taildraggers...

In a model ( flight dynamic mathematical model ) I am using, for a P51d, an effect that was completely unknown to me was made evident when taking off at extreme x-wind situations.

With a true x-win component of, say, 15+ knots from your left, summing to the typical prop effects for a CW rotating prop, it appears that it can be expected that the aircraft veers to the right ( downwind ) at least during the initial takeoff run, specially if flaps are being used !

The effect has it's explanation, supposedly, on the deflected propwash that hits the downwind surfaces of the aircraft ( right wing and right tail sections in this case ), creating additional lift and associated induced drag, and making the nose want to drift downwind, requiring the application of left ( into de wind!!! ) rudder and even right aileron to prevent the right wing from lifting.

This effect that can overcome weathervane during the initial stage of the takeoff run, is something totally unexpected to me, and I reported it as a "bug", but apparently, it may well be the case, although it is not common to such an aircraft to be operated under such extreme x-wind conditions....