PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CFI Plans
Thread: CFI Plans
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2015, 08:58
Diesel Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Raptor says although if you check out the AFAP jobs, flying instructors do seem to be advertised more often than say charter pilots, $50 - 80K would about pull up the pay I would reckon.
$50-80K as a flight instructor or CFI? I'm by no means an expert Aussie but no instructor I know of, even GR1 ME/IFR, earns that much.

As Raptor says instructing is very slow at the moment, casual work is the norm and hours are tough to come by. I got my GR3 last year and only managed around 30 hours in 6 months before having to give it away due to the lack of income, it just isn't enough to live off. An average of 5 paid hours a month for a 7 day commitment just didn't work for me, even though I love instructing. At least once a fortnight there would be instructors, often the same ones with a variety of backgrounds, coming in looking for work. But everyone has a different story and some do better than others, albeit within a ruthless environment.

luisf4, I'd really do my homework before moving back here. You sound a lot more qualified and experienced than me but the industry is slow at the moment, so make an informed decision. Good luck!