PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine fire B737-300/900 QRH procedure
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2015, 06:41
TheiC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's always best to know the status of our machines. That, in my mind, includes an evaluation of the engine after a fire, severe damage, or separation event.

A consequence of training for this in simulators is that things one could, and arguably should, do, in the aircraft, are not possible. For example, in a reject for an engine fire, and after the appropriate drills, I would get the cockpit window open and lean out and have a look (or ask my copilot to do so if it's on his side). When airborne, and assuming one doesn't have the misfortune to be flying a loaded freighter or at night, a visual inspection, ideally with images taken from the cabin with an iPad or similar, may be of great value.

That aside, I would agree with most of what Mach has written, but also hold the advice about making stuff up in high regard.

I can't help thinking that simulators with windows that can open, and some system of showing whats going on outside, might be valuable training aids. I know one TRE who has some photoshopped images on his iPad, showing engines in various states of disrepair, viewed from the cabin.