PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-16 and Cessna Midair in South Carolina, USA
Old 22nd Jul 2015, 14:06
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks, 747, I forgot about the doppler notch as it seemed to be headon. Further, they raised the speed from the initial system once the jets got to Europe and all the autobahn speedo types. Early systems easily picked up 95% of folks on the interstate, as the notch was about 60 knots.

For those not familiar, the pulse doppler radars can be set to only show targets with a ground speed above "x" knots ground speed relative to your course. So even a 500 knot target will not show if it is flying 90 deg to your own jet - it's in the "notch". So end of briefing.

Secondly, since we first got HUD's back in the 70's, we are looking outside a lot more than in the old days. You can do the entire approach using the HUD and just crosscheck the steam gauges every few seconds ( USAF policy but may have changed). My LEF video shows the ILS display, as well as the crappy weather that day. So by request, here's a link and do not abuse it!!!!

My problem was that a large section of my wing folded up shortly after gear retraction, so figure 160 - 170 knots. I was first guy that landed alive, as first troop got too slow short final and didn't make it. Next guy after me bailed.

sluf.org/misc_pages/lef-landing.m4v

Last edited by gums; 22nd Jul 2015 at 20:27. Reason: additional background