PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBMF Lanc Engine Fire
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2015, 10:54
Richard Woods

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What evidence do you have that ORS ignored Schrage Musik?
Same as you have. Words in a book. You seem to like research, go find it.

If the bomb load had gone off, the individual concerned would not have been around to tell the tale. Fuel tanks probably, bomb load highly unlikely.
It did, and he is. I'm not inclined to call men of his standing liars, more so when he was there to experience it and you weren't. I'm also pretty sure that given what he and his generation went through they'd know the difference.

Lancaster at War books? Have they just recently been published or been around for 40 years like the ones on my shelves?
Stop being an idiot. If you have the books then, go look at what I suggested. Its not difficult. Page 108 in the first book, Lancaster ND356, unless you feel like ignoring alternative evidence again.

Spend money to get inside one? I have never needed too. I have been given it for free!
Fair enough, its a privilege a few of us have had. But I don't know you so didn't know whether you had, or hadn't, and don't really care much if you you had to pay for it or not.

To refresh your memory the upper hatches on the Lancaster fuselage are ditching/escape hatches and not parachute exits! On most versions there's one between main and trailing spar in the centre section and one just in front of the mid upper turret, and the one over the pilot.

Here's an extract from the Pilots Notes.

Parachute exit Hatch in floor of nose should be used by all members of crew if time is available; originally it was released by a handle in the centre, lifted inwards and jettisoned, but when Mod. 1336 is incorporated the hatch is enlarged and is opened by a handle at the port side. It opens inwards and is secured by a clip which holds the hatch up on the starboard side. It can also be opened from outside the aircraft.

Crash exits
(i) On Lancaster I. III and X three push-out panels are fitted in the roof (one above the pilot, one just forward of the rear spar, and one forward of the mid-upper turret) except when Mod. 977 (which moves the mid-upper turret forward) is incorporated, in which case the Ihird panel is deleted,
(ii) On Lancaster VII there are two push-out panels in the roof, one above the pilot and one just forward of the rear spar.

Regards,

Rich