PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trump S-76 exiting a little dangerously?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2015, 09:53
blakmax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In defence of Robinson (maybe?)

Kripton John

I have to say that the problem with Robinson blades is NOT the adhesive selected. The older -5 blades were I believe made using Cytec's FM73 adhesive and that is a really good adhesive. From what I have seen the -7 blades are apparently made using Cytec's FM300 adhesive and that too is a good adhesive.

The issue with bond failures is in fact the process used to prepare the surface prior to bonding, and I suspect that many manufacturers do not address the critical issue which is to develop a resistance to hydration of the surfaces which results in disbonding.

Now, how does that relate to DT's comb-over or toupee (is that a three-pee because two is not enough?) I'd love to specify the surface preparation....

1. Degrease using the strongest solvent possible. Note that for politicians (who are invariably slippery characters) that process would need to be repeated until water didn't bead up on his forehead. To test, try asking a few tough questions about policy. If you see beads of sweat, keep degreasing.
2. Remove surface oxides. A good strong acid etch would do the trick but in this case I would prefer aggressive abrasion with an air-driven sander with a rough abrasive sanding disk.
3. Treat with a reliable coupling agent, although I would steer clear of Ashley Madison.

All the best

Blakmax