PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Agusta AW139
Thread: Agusta AW139
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2003, 02:49
Shawn Coyle

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the occasion to fly it when in Italy with some students from NTPS who were doing their final project.
15 minutes was just a great taste - acres of glass (best field of view I've seen since the Bell 47), easy access to the copilots seat (there was about 18" between the most forward part of the collective and the door post).
Smooth, quiet, comfortable - 163 KIAS at 100% torque at aft CG and maximum weight. 140 KIAS at 70% torque. Not much vibration. Great flight controls - typical Italian finesse in that the trim release button and the beeper trim didn't take tons of pressure to work.
Great displays - little different than normal with the vertical scale altitude and airspeed, but easy to use and see. AFCS off wasn't even a big deal.
Nice landing gear- lots of travel and yet firm.
Simple looking - no mechanical mixing of the flight controls despite a canted tail rotor (only very minor cross coupling in pedal turns - AFCS did a great job of maintaining datum attitudes).
Tail rotor has drag dampers on the blades - first one I've seen.
Baggage compartment is huge - unbelievably big.
And the cockpit is wider than a C-130 Hercules!
More details will have to wait for a longer flight (probably September, I'm told)
The following users liked this post: