PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Baggage Allowance
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2003, 01:49
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No dispute that clear air turbulence causes death and injury.

According to the FAA, people not wearing a seat belt is a major cause of death and injury.

In the 16 years between 81 and 97, there were 3 deaths and 80 serious injuries due to turbulence. Now call me callous, and with due sympathy for the dead and seriously injured, I don't think that's too many.

Of the 80 passengers who were seriously injured, approximately 73 were not wearing their seat belts while the seat belt sign was illuminated.

At least two of the three fatalities involved passengers who were not wearing their seat belts while the seat belt sign was illuminated.
So given the statistics, how can you say that "without exception" they were caused by luggage? I'd expect the vast majority of the injuries you saw to be caused by non use of seatbelts.

I get very annoyed when I see people not wearing seat belts, especially when the sign is on. My major fear of an in flight injury is the drinks trolley, another passenger, or a flight attendant landing on my head. Even a bottle of duty free gin which is not regulated at all can cause a nasty whack, I don't worry about 14x9X22 inch bags that are wedged into the overhead locker.

Now people who try to carry three of the damned things on, they should be shot