PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Maritime Patrol Aircraft - An Urgent Requirement
Old 21st Jul 2015, 11:56
melmothtw

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts
Heathrow and Cows, all good points.

Well melmoth - when you're negotiating a price it's nice to have an option to use to beat down Mr. B..........................
Makes perfect sense.

However, to select a non-NATO aircraft ahead of America's best could well indicate that a thorough and non-biased procurement process had been followed; best meets the requirement.
Is there not a case to be made for procuring the P-8 over the P-1 precisely because the US is a NATO partner? I totally get the 'best tool for the job' argument, but are there not wider issues of alliance solidarity (more important than ever right now) and commonality.

I think the Japanese have rather a good track record as far as maritime stuff is concerned and, judging by their cars, they're also pretty darn good at building things.
Can't argue with any of that, but I have heard anecdotaly that the P-1's mission kit had some teething issues (which may or may not have been sorted by now), and that the engines are somewhat underpowered and unreliable.