PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dealing with panic
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2015, 10:51
piratepete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BUT SERIOUSLY

My post was only half-joking, except for the bit about the Bar.....However as we accumulate more and more hours, more and more experience, more and more training in simulators, the instinct to PANIC seems to fade away and a kinda calm comes over you no matter what you are confronted with.My feeling is that it is always WEATHER that gives you the most trouble.

HOWEVER.All this training no matter how well meant it is, cannot really prepare you for the totally unexpected event that YOU HAVE NEVER TRAINED FOR.We have become very good at learning from others mistakes, but we should be avoiding these mistakes in the first place!! Not long ago just on becoming airborne in my rather large jet, we were faced with a full blown MAYDAY situation, very confusing and indications of loss of flight controls also stall warning ALL AT ONCE only inches off the ground.I found that I was aware of imminent death, and was surprised how calm I was perhaps an acceptance of what was going to happen.We recovered, somehow and landed.I really enjoyed the Bar very shortly later........Peter.