PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2015, 23:27
FODPlod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50
...Not only is MTBF data counted (and if you don't have a five year average you can't even start, from what I have seen) but causation for removal/replacement of the more expensive bits needs to be understood to fold into the predictive models. That would give the logistician a fighting chance to estimate long lead time materials, to consider just one piece of the problem. There are others, to include suppliers suddenly becoming unqualified after an audit.

Is the F-35 mature enough for that kind of data driven logistics tail support? I can't see where the data would be coming from ...
The first two production F-35s (AF-1 and AF-2) arrived at Edwards AFB on 17 May 2010, i.e. over five years ago (link). F-35s had clocked up over 15,000 flying hours by April last year (link) so the figure is liable to be significantly higher by now. There have been no incidences of in-air catastrophic failure as far as I can tell and the level of system instrumentation and monitoring has been unprecedented.

Serious question: Wouldn't that provide sufficient data to start populating a MTBF database with some degree of confidence?