PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fatal Accident Inquiries and Inquest
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2015, 19:00
Jackonicko

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
"At 14:50 hours on 27 June 1990, the crew of Canberra WH972 from RAF Wyton took off from RAF Kinloss to participate in a maritime training exercise.

"The operational aspects of the sortie was completed uneventfully, and the crew commenced recovery for an Instrument Landing System (ILS) approach to runway 26 of RAF Kinloss.

"At around 600 feet above ground level (AGL) the navigator noticed that the aircraft was diverging from the ILS localiser course and advised the pilot accordingly.

"At first, the pilot attempted corrective measures, but then decided to overshoot the runway. He applied power to both engines. However, the port engine appeared to surge, resulting in a loss of power. The pilot attempted to throttle back and re-apply power, but this failed to clear the engine surge and consequent loss of power. At this point, the aircraft-- which was still in cloud - yawed and rolled rapidly to the left before striking the ground, almost inverted and nose down. The aircraft caught fire on impact with the ground.

"Very soon after the aircraft started rolling rapidly, the navigator ejected. Although he survived, he suffered major injuries.

"The pilot ejected shortly after the navigator; but by this time the aircraft was too close to the ground. Tragically, the pilot died on impact with the ground.

"The accident occurred in a field about 1nm mile E of RAF Kinloss."

It's now near enough 25 years since we lost my old friend from ULAS days, Flt Lt Cameron Maxwell Locke. I still remember him with great fondness, but I don't know anything about FAIs, etc.