PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The importance of speed on final
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2015, 13:02
chillindan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The importance of speed on final

Really enjoying all these stories. And the Sea Fury one just goes to show that speed is everything on final. This example isn't as dramatic but is just an example of an experience I had that helped solidify the learning I did on my NPPL course last year.

During my training my instructors hammered home to me how important speed is and I've actually seen why when a few months ago I was landing into a gusty headwind, pretty much straight down the runway. I approached at 65 which is the recommended approach speed for a crosswind/gusty wind (60 on a calm day or light wind day) and I was really glad of those extra few MPH. The headwind limit on the Eurostar is 23knts and the wind was blowing between 8 and 15knts so well within the aircrafts limits. BUT this pilot (i.e. me) has not really landed in such a gusty headwind before. As I float down final at around 100ft the wind just stops blowing.... Oh dear!

I'm set up with 2 notches of flap (Again recommended crosswind setup) so I go from 65mph IAS to around 50mph. In this configuration the aircraft stalls at about 40mph so I still had plenty in hand, but obviously I noticed the increased sink rate and it felt more dramatic than actually was. So, I lowered the nose (I hate doing that on final, it always feels wrong, especially when that close to the edge of the air) and applied power and went around for another go, this time landing no problem.

But the point is this. If I had not been approaching at 65mph, i.e. if I'd approached at 60mph (like a normal day) which is the figure in the POH for a calm day, then all of a sudden I would have found myself at 45mph, much closer to the stall and dangerously low on height with not much potential to recover it if I did stall.

Like I said, not a very dramatic story but one which helped to reinforce the learning I'd done on my course, and I think its these kinds of incidents that really help you to become a pilot, i.e. after you have gained the license to learn, so to speak.

When I do my downwind checks now, I'm consciously thinking, "Wind - ok, so whats my approach configuration going to be, what speed am I going for and what flap setting am I going to use". Whereas I think if I'm honest, when I was doing my circuit bashing last year it was more a case of chanting the checks and ensuring I didn't forget them, rather than having the mental capacity to think about the consequences of each item and have a plan of what it means for me and the approach.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that for any new pilots who want to understand why their instructor takes control if they drop below approach speed on final. Yes you might have a safe margin still, but consider what would happen if something (in this case the wind) takes away 90% of that margin.

Always fly on or above recommended approach speed for the conditions, NEVER below.