PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 19th Jul 2015, 20:13
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ksimboy,

Spot on mate, the Norway jobby was just one of many similar experiences.

AA62 # 3426,

Your comments re the loadie checking the wheels in cold climates brings to mind an interesting interlude during a task to Albuquerque, with a "special load" and the safe return of its replacement. Having successfully taken the bits to Albuquerque, and set off back home, we enjoyed a night stop at Griffis AFB, and the delights of downtown Utica. Having all had an early night, we arrived, bright eyed and bushy tailed, ready to get home the following morning. I can't remember what the overnight temperature had been, only that it was minus double digits when we did the B/F, in the "no lone zone". There had been around 5 inches of snow overnight and we (the two GEs) had to sweep the lot off the upper surfaces, amongst all other aspects of prep for flight. On start all was normal, until, having stowed ourselves on board, it was found that even increased amounts of power would not allow forward movement of Albert. My fellow GE and I declared that our wallets did not exceed permitted tolerances and The aircraft was shut down. On examining the mainwheels, we discovered that they were frozen solid to the ground. It took 3 hours using a hot air blower to release the grip of the ice, and by that time the crew had run out of hours. Thankfully, the next day saw the GEs arrive at the aircraft two hours before the crew, and we managed to acquire a tug to move the aircraft off its position to ensure it would go home today !!!

Ahh, the joys of route flying with Albert

A question perhaps DougieM might be able to answer. I was always led to believe that entry to a "no lone zone" required that you be accompanied by a second person of equal knowledge. How could a Navigator, of immense cerebral capacity, be accompanied by any other crew member ? Fire away Doug, I'm sure there's some mileage in this !

Smudge

Last edited by smujsmith; 20th Jul 2015 at 14:38.