PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA762 report released (cowl doors openning)
Old 19th Jul 2015, 11:15
ASRAAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA762 report released (cowl doors openning)

JW
I suspect that you are a First Officer?

No.

I am also fully aware of the role of the Flight Engineer. As you say it was his job to do the walk round. Just as it is now the job ( for the majority of airlines I suspect) for the pilots to take turns to complete the walk round.

The days of the co-pilot being told to sit there, shut up and only touch the controls if I tell you to are long gone.

The point I had been attempting to make,and which I suspect you are being deliberately obtuse about is that there are many tasks around the dispatch and minor maintenance of aircraft that we TRUST other individuals to complete.

Unfortunately, in this case the individual missed something. That is no reason to suggest First Officers should never do the walk round. You might as well say the engineers missed something, don't let them fix aircraft!

The fact is that in this event a significant number of mistakes were made by various people.

Despite the recommendation of the investigation Airbus seem likely to wriggle out of fitting any warning system that gives cockpit notification of unlatched cowl flaps.

I'm willing to bet that there will be further human failings and that it will happen again.

Finally I wonder if it was the Capt or First Officer who completed the walk round the other 36 times this problem occurred?