PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-16 and Cessna Midair in South Carolina, USA
Old 19th Jul 2015, 07:59
A Squared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Watcher
Thanks for your answers , so in this scenario, uncontrolled airport , assuming the circle around Berkley Co on the map above is class E , if this was in my country both aircraft would have been on the Berkley co "advisory frequency " ( which we call in here A/A or auto info ) .
In my country if a military jet is low flying above a VFR uncontrolled airport , it makes a short call before entering stating position , heading and altitude . You do not do this in the U.S. ?
Obviously, this would be a good practice. If I knew that I were flying at low level through the immediate area of an uncontrolled airport, I would certainly dial up the advisory frequency (CTAF in the US, Common Traffic Advisory Frequency)

However, if you were a pilot based elsewhere, and you were being vectored around that area, and you didn't have a VFR chart open (unlikely that you would) you might not be aware that you were in the immediate vicinity of the airport.

Personally, I'm wondering what the F-16 was doing so low, so far from the airport. Not attempting to assign fault, there was nothing inherently wrong with what he was doing and he had been cleared to descend to that altitude, but I'd expect to be a little higher on a normal descent for landing that far out.