PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - About real stall and Upset training
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2015, 06:50
Reinhardt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

misd-agin, thank you very much in helping me with my points - I was about to say exactly that, but you wrote it before !
Spooky 2 :
"My comments regarding simulator data loads was from a CAE rep "
He was obviously an excellent salesman for his (future) products, as I can see... but Boeing can always supply CAE with lines of sofware, it will not mean they are for real...
Test pilots on airliners will experiment stalls and departures from controlled flights, on a very incremental basis, and up (or down !) to a certain point, which will be the subject of very long discussions, and will probably move a little bit forward during the flight test program. After this point, it will be a definite "no" (the industry doesn't want to lose prototypes, and flight test crew don't want to die... so it will remain unknown territory (until some pilots start to explore it, at their own risks) The whole flight test, certification and subsequent airines SOPs are made to prevent this situation to occur.
Therefore how could you program something you have no idea about the way it will be in reality ? unfortunately typical of new-generations, without hard scientific background, having just some absolute faith in computers by looking at their various apps and screens all-day long (computer does say it, so it's right...)
I remember close to 30 years ago, a very elaborate fighter simulator, full-motion, outside picture, with inflating g-suit and seat-cushion to simulate the g forces, on which we could perform the spin entry manoeuver (which was forbidden on real aircraft, as it was not a trainer but a combat aircraft, one class above) - so after that the sim was rocking violently in all the directions and axes, and by fighting it a little bit we could proceed out, except... that we knew the behaviour of the "aircraft" didn't mean anything realistic (or maybe it was from time to time, but nobody could confirm it) On that specific aircraft, maybe 12 spins had been done for real during the test program in the 70s, and everybody did agree that was all, enough of it !
Spooky 2, I have been operating somewhere above LA, in a place called "high desert", does it ring a bell to you ?
So... Expressions :
"But the test pilots in prototypes do that" NO, NO and NO
Also the Mig 21 is not really a delta, as far as I know.... it does feature a tail, doesn'it ?
"this training does not apply to your operations yet. Probably could have used it in the AF330 accident though" I'm at pain trying to figure what you mean. I think you rush to assumptions with the few data available to you. Once again, typical

Now airline pilots will rock their shoulders for years after having been through three, maybe four hours of aerobatics with an instructor (don't even imagine being solo) ... better than nothing of course, except they will remain what they are

Lets aviat, excellent point - training, then a real event maybe some 20 years after, what's the point ?